Blinded, But Now I See – A Poem

Broken in the darkness
No healing can I see
Unaware of the Great Physician
Watching over me

Sobbing in the darkness
Does no one hear me?
Will someone come and rescue
Show the way to Thee?

Another year in darkness
Is all my life will be
Resigned to hell on earth
Sorrow as vast as the sea

Alone in the darkness
No one suffers like me
Those who try to help
Don’t understand my misery

Peering through the darkness
Reaching out to me
The hand of my dear Savior
Nail-scars I see

Emerging from the darkness
My Savior God to Thee
I run in awe-filled triumph
As You run to me

Surveying the darkness
Others there I see
I’ll lead them to my Savior
As others once led me

I understand their darkness
How blinding it can be
I’ll show them they are not alone
As You, my Lord, showed me

9/6/11 update: I linked this for the Open Link Night Week 8 and dVerse Poets Pub.

This entry was posted in Christian Living and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Blinded, But Now I See – A Poem

1. edpilolla says:

a great story about emerging from the darkness. from darkness to light…

2. tashtoo says:

This was wonderful! You ran from that darkness, and in the light you found the promise and love of spirit…He is there…and He is there for all! Well done

• Thank you. Eventually I did run, though for years it would have taken someone dragging me out kicking and screaming from the darkness because I didn’t know they were trying to help. 🙂 Peace, Linda

3. hedgewitch says:

Thanks for sharing your escape from darkness with us, Linda.

4. Reflections says:

I liked the feel of repetition here, as if counting the days or years of darkness. Yet always, there is a redeeming feel when you reach out after finding the true source of strength.

5. brian says:

smiles. each of us are given our hardships…that they move us to empathy with others is a great response to them…redeeming them…

6. Debbie says:

Thank you for the poem and for sharing about the 6 stanzas representing 6 years. 🙂 I love how you are indeed using that time for His good now, reaching out to people and helping them to Him!
    God bless you and your love of Jesus!

• Deb, I seem to have really caught the “poetry bug” and can’t seem to stop. So glad these poems are a blessing to someone. It does feel good to have something good come from my years of depression. I just wrote another one yesterday that I’m posting for next Wednesday. Peace, Linda

7. I well relate to this – the darkness, the despair, the horror – “resigned to hell on earth” with no hope of escape.
    Thankfully, I also relate to the then unknown Saviour reaching out to me and giving me no peace until I responded – and then an abundance of peace.
    Thankfully again I relate to the last two verses. What a privilege to be His ambassadors in the world today!

Thank you Linda.
    Angela

• Angela, I like that – His ambassadors in the world today! I love that title. 🙂 Peace, Linda

• 2 Corinthians 5:20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ.

This is quite a challenge for me, because an ambassador fully represents his nation and the nation is judged by its ambassadors. Therefore, people will judge Christ by what they see in me – a great privilege but an even greater responsibility.
        Angela

8. Ann says:

Thanks much, Linda

I like how you moved from the point of utter desperation to being lifted by Him to pointing others to Him. Sometimes we forget what the pit is like since we no longer have to live in it 🙂 .

Your post made me think of an old song – Remind Me – A part of the song says “roll back the curtains of memory now and then. Show me where You brought me from and where I could have been”… A gentle reminder that it is His grace that sustains me and not anything I did to ‘earn’ it.

Blessings,
    ann

• Ann, Thanks. I kind of felt like the poem was unbalanced because there weren’t more stanzas after He rescued me. But the six stanzas of darkness represent the six years I was in such darkness that I thought I would never escape. As for the years since He showed me the way out, I’ve lost count and I decided the focus needed to be not on how long it’s been but on what I can do to show others the way out. Thanks for the song. I will listen to it later when I have time and better speakers. I like the lyrics that you quoted. Peace, Linda

9. Pingback: Blinded, But Now I See – A Poem (via Linda Kruschke’s Blog) | The Christian Gazette