This Moment – A Poem

Here it is Thankful Thursday, and although I have much that I am thankful for (including the fact that I am on vacation this week for spring break) I wasn’t sure what to write for this post. I didn’t really have any concrete ideas for a poem. Then I went to dVerse Poets Pub to see what was going on. I found there the perfect prompt from Victoria Slotto. The Meeting at the Bar prompt was to Live in the Moment, to write about our perceptions of the present moment. It’s perfect because I am thankful for this present moment.

This Moment

It’s raining outside
but I don’t hear it,
the tinkling sound of the raindrops
drowned out by Third Day
playing on my iPod “Upbeat Christian” playlist –
“You bought me for a reason” Mac sings.

The soft cushion of my easy chair,
much nicer than my office chair,
as the warmth of my laptop
keeps the rainy chill at bay,
and I smile because I’m not at work today.

Revive sings, “I almost missed this moment,”
but I didn’t because I paused
to enjoy the peace
of a vacation day at home
with nowhere to go,
no place I have to be.

I smile again
realizing that I’m getting paid
to sit here doing just what
I want to do,
taking care of a task or two
that the busy-ness of life usually
makes difficult to accomplish.

At this moment my son
is in his room working on
something creative and new
after having lunch that he made himself
but thanked me for.

“Everywhere I go I know You’re not far away,
You’re right here,” sings Jeremy Camp
reminding me that in this moment
as in each and every moment – peaceful or not –
God is right here with me
filling my heart with thankfulness.

My cute little dog
is sleeping peacefully on the couch,
dreaming of chasing his ball –
which we might do later,
in another playful moment
of this wonderful life
filled with moments of God’s grace.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to This Moment – A Poem

1. Pingback: Enduring Trials with Christ | Linda Kruschke's Blog

2. No matter where we are, what we are doing, or what is happening around us, we can praise our great God with fullness of heart. He alone is worthy.
    What an amazing God!

3. So happy I got to share this home vacation day with you, and music, and of course, the dog!!!

4. siubhan says:

you paint a lovely, tranquil picture of a moment, playlist included! 🙂

5. Dolce far niente is essential for a life.

6. David King says:

The moment captured perfectly.

7. oceangirl says:

Very well written. Moments of gratefulness is constant, though we may not realise it.

8. I often wonder if we haven’t been given more of these unreported, lazed, enjoyable, fulfilling moments in our life than critical ones of heartstopping anxiety? I think in times like your day and mine today we taste a bit of paradise, don’t you? Well written. I was there.

• Gay, I think sometimes we just fail to notice these moments, maybe take them for granted. I was blessed to stop and consider this moment today and to be able to share it. Peace, Linda

9. Debbie says:

What a beautiful thing to be thankful for . .. a great reminder of the preciousness of this moment with Him! Great poem too! God bless you and all the moments He brings!

10. Laurie Kolp says:

Filled with gratitude that shines through even on a rainy day!

11. You captured the scene sweetly. I loved it and felt like I was there. Excellent.

12. shanyns says:

This is so wonderful – such a sweet snapshot. Thank you for sharing it! Love the interplay with your music, very clever!

13. Ruth says:

ah, these lovely life moments – how rewarding when we allow ourselves fully to savour each one, as you’ve done here

14. hannah says:

This is just what it is: lovely.
    A moment to savour, and for us to savour as well.
    Glorious reality, no strings attached.
    Thank you.

• Hannah, Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment. 🙂 I truly needed a moment like this this week and was happy for the dVerse prompt that made me savor it. Peace, Linda

15. Simply wonderful! You brought me into your world, and I found such peace and joy there. What a perfectly awesome thing to do. Very nice.