My Giant Straw – A Poem

The Saturday poetry prompt over at dVerse Poets Pub is to write about pop culture, to create a poetry version of pop art. I immediately thought of a pop art sculpture my son made two summers ago. The bendy straw and plastic cup are definitely part of our pop culture, the staple of fast food restaurants. So I wrote a poem about his sculpture and included a picture.

My Giant Straw

a giant straw
all alone
has no purpose

Do you think
Giant Burger might
want to buy it?

Giant Straw and Cup - They're bigger than the dog!

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to My Giant Straw – A Poem

1. That is really creative pop art. Writing about it is spot on.
    Or how big is Spot?

2. Debbie says:

I enjoyed the poem and the pop art so much! What fun! God bless you as you keep writing and sharing and inspiring!

3. wolfsrosebud says:

Size does change everything

4. Ann says:

Interesting Linda,

Great for thirst quenching, I imagine 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
    ann

5. That’s just too funny, great work all of you!

6. Heaven says:

I enjoyed the art piece from your son. Very nice interpretation of the prompt.. both picture and words.

Have a happy day to you and to your family ~

7. Morning says:

impressed by your take on a straw, we use it everyday.

beautiful piece of poetry/art.

8. claudia says:

so cool… and you really have them in your living room…that’s awesome..made me smile linda..also love how the dog looks..

• Well technically they aren’t in my living room any more (which my son pointed out when I read him the poem), but they were for about a year and a half. 😉 Now they are in the spare bedroom. But the dog has the run of the house. Peace, Linda

9. Mama Zen says:

This really made me smile!

10. I love the idea that a straw is nothing without a cup. very profound.

11. Very cool piece of art from your son! I love it, and your piece makes it all the more fun 🙂

• Lori, Thanks – there’s a lot of cool art around my house thanks to him, and suspect there will be more in the future. He’s working on a pencil and charcoal portrait of his dad in Art class right now. 🙂 Peace, Linda

12. brian says:

of course there needs to be a large straw…which needs a large cup…and a large burger would just make the scene…ha…kinda like if you give a mouse a cookie…smiles.

• Brian, My son did contemplate make a giant hamburger box, but getting enough hamburger boxes to make it with was not as easy as the cups and straws. Maybe someday. (Love if you give a mouse a cookie!) Peace, Linda

13. IDK, but you put me in the mood for a giant burger. Luved the repeition, the tone, the image, the use of the art. Excellent job. Very entertaining and enjoyable.

• Thank you, glad you enjoyed it. Your hankering for a giant burger made me laugh! It helped to have a good subject, and the funny thing is my son (14 at the time) actually asked if I thought the Giant Burger near us would want to buy it. We haven’t asked. Peace, Linda

Wonderful poem to go with a great piece of pop art. Blessings to your son. Who knows, he might be the next Andy Warhol.

15. C Rose says:

Loved the image and background you provided, whimsical piece! ~ Rose

16. I’m smiling ear-to-ear, Linda. Very clever work of art–visually and verbally. And I love the dog! Peace to you, too. Thanks for joining.

• Thanks. It’s kind of fun having such a visually creative son. There’s a lot of his artwork in the house. 🙂 The dog is pretty awesome to have around, too. Such a loveable little guy. Peace, Linda