C.S. Lewis and My Tuesday Three

I know it has only been a few weeks since I started the “My Tuesday Three” theme, but I’m already discovering that it is much more difficult than I imagined. It seems as though I must be more focused on seeing the “three” posts throughout the week, and if I don’t have a lot of time to read other blogs that is very challenging. This last week, I just was not able to accomplish this because I’ve been focused on a lot of other things.

Not wanting to completely let go of the “My Tuesday Three” theme altogether, and fully planning to get back to identifying three blog posts over this next week, I decided to post about a different type of “three” this week. I want to share three of my favorite C.S. Lewis quotes.

A man can no more diminish God’s glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, ‘darkness’ on the walls of his cell.

I love this quote because it’s just so to the point. It’s classic Lewis logic. The Truth of God’s glory is a constant and cannot be made false because someone denies it. Richard Dawkins or Frederich Neitzsche claiming that God does not exist does not make that reality.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.

This is my all-time favorite C.S. Lewis quote! It describes how I feel about my faith. Through Christ, I see why the world is the way it is and also how it could be. I see that love is the highest virtue and the pride is the greatest sin.

There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, “Thy will be done,” and those to whom God says, “All right, then, have it your way.”
It seems simplistic, to put all of mankind into two categories. But I think Lewis got this one right. I’ve decided I want to be the kind of person who says to my Lord, “Thy will be done.” How about you? What kind of person are you?

This entry was posted in Christian Living and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to C.S. Lewis and My Tuesday Three

1. When we know that God only wants the very best for us it seems ludicrous to say other than “Thy will be done” but stupid though we know it to be, we so do it all too often.

A couple more CS Lewis quotes I like . . .

>> The very man who has argued you down, will sometimes be found, years later, to have been influenced by what you said
    This is often an encouragement when we witness.

>> Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind
    So true!

• Thanks for adding those additional quotes; I like those one, too. Lewis was such a wise man and I am thankful that he didn’t remain an atheist all his life, but that God called him to something greater. Peace, Linda

2. Delilah White says:

I love these quotes. The first one especially. Do you know where it came from? Is it from one of his books?

• Delilah, I pulled these off of http://www.brainyquotes.com, so I don’t know for sure what book they are from. I believe the first two are from “Mere Christianity,” but I’m not positive. I’m sure they are all from one of his books, though. I’ve read so many of his books I forget which ones had which quotes. Peace, Linda

3. bendedspoon says:

Thank you for sharing C.S. Lewis quotes Linda. I especially like the first one. Got to keep that in mind especially in my workplace where the diversity includes faith.

Hmm what could be your next Tuesday Three? That makes it more exciting 🙂

• Rea, I am quite familiar with diversity in the workplace. It can be a good thing, but does pose challenges to remaining faithful to God’s call that we love our neighbors as ourselves. As for next week’s Tuesday Three, I’m excited to see what it is, too. 😉 Peace, Linda

4. nuvofelt says:

Thy will be done, indeed. It’s hard to keep feet on the right path. Thanks for the reminder. I haven’t read C S Lewis for a while.

• Your comment reminded me of part of “The Cowboy Prayer” by Johnny Cash:

Just keep an eye on all that’s done or said
      And right me sometimes when I turn aside
      And guide me on that long, dim trail ahead
      That stretched upward toward the great divide

So glad He will right us when we get off the path as long as our attitude is that His will be done. Peace, Linda

5. Ann says:

Thanks, Linda

This post goes way, way deep!!

I want to believe I am in the ‘Thy Will Be Done’ category but only He knows for sure. If I say one thing with my mouth but my heart is saying something else, that’s a whole different ball-game!! (And the only one who will know the condition of my heart is Jehovah God…)

I’m learning to match up my heart with His words. I’m learning that the more time I spend with Him is the more I will be like Him and the less likely I will ask for what I want “to consume upon my own lust”. I’m learning to trust Him even when all the signs say otherwise.

CS Lewis is on my list of faves. Thanks for sharing … I like this mucho!

Blessings,
    ann

6. Debbie says:

Thank you Linda, for doing three C.S. Lewis quotes! I just love how he thought and could convey truths about Christianity is such a wonderful way. So thankful that God gave us someone like him, to help us!
    I so appreciate your idea and heart behind the Tuesday Three posts . . .but it is a tough one. Praying with you for help with that! These three quotes were wonderful! Maybe for next Tuesday you could do three places that give out quotes. 🙂 Just trying to help!
    God bless you and your desire to please Him always!

• Deb, Themes were supposed to make this easier, but sometimes they make it harder. But suddenly I am reminded of a Billy Graham quote: “I believe God would have us go to hard places, not easy one.” He said that right before going on his first crusades to New York City. But perhaps I need to be a little more flexible with My Tuesday Three. It doesn’t have to be blog posts – it could be three of anything. I just love the number three as it reminds me of the Holy Trinity. Thanks for your prayers and encouragement. Peace, Linda

7. Barbee says:

I am definitely in the “Thy will be done” category.
    And, the second quote of the three is my favorite, too.
    Thank you, Linda, for spending time on your Tuesday Three posts; I can well imagine the time it must take out of your busy schedule.
    Bee well, my friend!
    And I hope the pain and loss of your beloved pet is lessened a bit by now…

• Barbee, I just love pretty much anything C.S. Lewis wrote! He is my favorite Christian author, and it is so encouraging that he was an atheist for a long time but them came to know the Lord so well. Thank you for your concern about our loss of Tom. We were just talking about him last night and saying what a good cat he had been. We miss him, and will always remember him fondly. Peace, Linda