Wolf Moon

The wolf moon hung high in the clear winter sky as we drove home after a long New Year’s Day of visiting family. I glanced at it several times, but its brightness, coupled with the glare of headlights of oncoming cars and streetlights overhead, were too much for my photophobic eyes to bear. Even the reflection of the full moon on the Columbia River, shimmering its loveliness, made my head hurt. I made most of the trip with my eyes closed.

I felt thankful, though, that it didn’t shine off of snow and ice on the roadway. Clear, dry pavement stretched out before us. Plus, I didn’t have to drive. Good thing, or we may not have made it home.

Crisp cold winter air
tailwind blowing from the east
God sees us home safe

__________________________________

It’s Haibun Monday at dVerse Poets Pub and Victoria is calling for poems about Fuyu No Tsuki, the winter moon. Head over and see what the other poets have to say.

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Wolf Moon

1. You had the best Navigator for your journey, Linda. In good hands, always!

2. Glad to hear that you were not driving during all this natural and unnatural light.

3. rothpoetry says:

I enjoyed your poem and can really identify with the obnoxious bright headlights. The moon on the snow reminds me of the Night Before Christmas. A luster of midday….!
    Dwight

• The moon on snow is beautiful, but where I live no one knows how to drive on snow, we aren’t equipped to plow it, and it tend to turn to ice pretty quickly. I prefer it to stay in the mountains.

4. annell4 says:

So glad you were safe, as you returned home.

5. Singledust says:

too much of light especially artificial light makes me very anxious, I am glad you made it home safe.

6. kim881 says:

I find night driving, especially in snow and ice, very difficult. I’m so glad you and your driver made it home safely, Linda.

7. I had neighbours visiting during the Christmas season. They come for the peace, nature, quiet and so on – they say. Then blazed strung lights all over the trees, played loud music, partied until late … the artificiality of human interference does impact negatively on what should have been a communion with nature.

8. maria says:

Ah, what a relief. 🙂

9. That contrast between light and dark is really difficult, isn’t it. I love the security in your haiku.

10. I don’t like night driving at all.. Glad you arrived safely..

11. whimsygizmo says:

A happy ending, safe at home. 🙂

Good to go home safely ~ The glare from the headlights also affects my vision ~ Still such a sight to behold on the Columbia River ~

13. wolfsrosebud says:

lovely haiku

14. Frank Hubeny says:

I probably would have liked to see the moon’s reflection on the Columbia River, but I can see how it might affect others differently.

15. I’m a bit photophobic, too, Linda and glare is all you need if you have a headache. You painted the scene so clearly.

I did not realize until now that your eyes are photophobic. That must be hard with your love of the sun! But a lovely and trusting haiku to sum it all up.

17. I can understand the driving… snow and ice on the road is not a good thing. Good that you had someone driving.