Glimpsing Light in the Darkness – A Pantoum

This is an extra post for today in response to the challenge at dVerse Poets’ Pub. The FormForAll lesson for today was on how to write a pantoum. I don’t usually try to write poems in a specific form, and don’t even really know much about different poetic forms, but I’m learning. This form looked interesting and I read a couple of the linked poems that I really liked, so I thought I’d give it a try.

Glimpsing Light in the Darkness

Comfort, peace, and love
A glimpse of hope I see

Darkness enveloping me
Perceiving despair’s caress
A glimpse of hope I see
Stumbling in the darkness

This entry was posted in Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Glimpsing Light in the Darkness – A Pantoum

1. Pingback: Third Sunday Blog Carnival: Volume 1, No. 3 « Third Sunday Blog Carnival

2. Darkness and light ~ despair and hope ~ but positive and victorious. Great!

3. I think you handle the form very well.

4. Pervagus says:

A lovely well formed pantoum Linda. I liked the yo-yoing of emotions and glad it ended on an up 🙂

5. i felt true emotion in your lines Linda – hope for sure and hope is not easy or cheap and you showed this – powered by your sincerity this poem speaks volumes

• Arron, Thank you. What a nice compliment, that you could feel the emotion. It sometimes scares me how strongly I can still feel those emotions that consumed me when I was severely depressed, but it reminds me to have compassion and spread a message of hope for those still in darkness. Peace, Linda

6. Gay says:

Linda, I may not have mentioned that this type of poem can be epic and go on for as many stanzas as you need. I think it has to be a minimum of three to work; but this was perfect! Your subject was perfectly suited to the form, and I know the wrapping and repetition really worked here. Excellent. G.

• Gay, Thank you so much for the kind comments! You were such a great teacher in your sharing of the ins and outs of this form. You did mention that the number of stanzas was flexible, and I did add an extra as I worked through it. I am so excited to be learning more about poetry at dVerse. What a great group of people! Peace, Linda

7. Jo Bryant says:

You worked the form well. I too saw the hopefullness within. Great effort !!

8. Debbie says:

You are really rocking this poetry thing! 🙂 I like to do forms, for some reason. I think I like the challenge and the rules to conform to. You did soooo good at this . . .and you just learned it! wow!
    God bless you and your poetry that sings of Him and His hope!

• Deb, It helped that Gay Cannon was such a good teacher of the form over at dVerse. Normally I don’t like the rules, but this particular form just seemed like it would work for this subject matter. Did I ever thank you for getting me started on poetry in the first place? You were definitely my inspiration! 🙂 Peace, Linda

• Debbie says:

You sweet friend you . . .yes, you have thanked me before. Not sure what I did, but you are welcome! It seems to just come naturally out of you. 🙂 And then you share them so we can read and enjoy and be blessed by them! Wonderful!

9. brian says:

this is beautiful…love the rollercoaster of emotion and the spiritual impilcations of your words as well…uplifting…well spun to the form as well…i liked…smiles.

• Brian, I had to add an extra stanza to get the full rollercoaster with the form. I do like the challenge of fitting a poem into a specific form, but still writing what I know. I hear the sestina is coming back on two weeks. I might have to get started now to pull that one off! Peace, Linda

10. Laurie Kolp says:

Linda~ Uplifting and hopeful… great job with the form!